Born To Be Miserable

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What is "Barefoot"?, by Kimberly Koerber-Bauer-Koerber



Barefoot is an interesting word.  It has many connotations and meanings.  Some positive, some not so great.
Recently, a circumstance happened, and I was a witness to it.
A woman asked why her boyfriend would take her shoes and leave her barefoot.  This situation happened, and she is still compllaining about it, right here in Raleigh, North Carolina.  I said, "Maybe the words barefoot and pregnant should come to mind.  Maybe the man is very controlling and wants to have trotal control."

She seemed to ignore that comment and said: "I filed a police complaint about it because I now have no shoes and have to get shoes."

Is this misogyny?  It really could be, and the police got involved but may have missed the greater meaning behind all of this. 

"Barefoot" was also how my son's old girlfriend Tiffany Maxwell graduated from high school.  She was pregnant and was told to leave high school.  She would have graduated from Wooster, Ohio high school, but was banned from there and went to the Christian Children's home instead.  I took a picture of her graduating from high school barefoot - with no shoes on, because her mother was there at the time, but was to drunk/stoned to be able to take pictures of her daughter graduating barefoot and receiving her diploma in her hand.  

Barefoot - because she was able to meet the requirements of graduating from high school, was there with peers she would have had if she went to that high school, and because she had to be better than the others to not drop out. 

"Barefoot" is also like a barefoot lawyer- or a crackerjack lawyer or crackerjack anything....someone who never went to college but attained better skills than others in their area. 

Barefoot.

No comments:

Episcopal/Anglican Church Shield in blue

Episcopal/Anglican Church Shield in blue
"I have been a member of the Episcopal Church all of my life"

About Me

My photo
Hello! I am a Social Worker (since 1990) and a writer. I am seeking writing jobs, funding for my Writing business called "the Indigo Drum" and a way to run an office again, plus a car.